Heartburn or acidity is caused due to acid reflux caused by excess acidity in the stomach. This is caused by eating the wrong kind of foods and due to weak digestion system. Heartburn can lead to stomach gas and bloat. Right eating habits and a healthy lifestyle routine can alleviate this issue.
Table of Contents
- Understanding the Digestive process
- Causes of gas and acidity
- The general causes are
- Symptoms of gas and heartburn
- Treatment of heartburn
- Home remedies
- Excessive gas weight loss?
- Planned diet
- Lifestyle Solutions
If you have suffered discomfort and burning sensation in the upper abdomen region and throat, you would know how unpleasant acidity is. It is commonly known as acid reflux or heartburn.
It is a medical condition that may lead to other complications like obesity, arthritis, diabetes and gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD, if not treated in time. It is also frequently associated with gas and a combination of both is sure to impact your quality of life.
Understanding The Digestive Process
The food you consume is processed in your alimentary canal or gastrointestinal tract. Here the food is metabolized, nutrients are absorbed, energy is released and the undigested residue is expelled from the body as waste in the form of feces.
Causes Of Acidity Induced Heartburn
Several gastric juices and acids are produced in the system to digest the consumed food. Acidity or acid reflux may occur due to overproduction of these acids.
Sometimes, due to incomplete metabolism, the undigested food is acted upon by the gut bacteria. Gas is a byproduct of this process.
There is no conclusive evidence to show that sudden weight loss diets lead to stomach gas and heartburn, but some variations may stimulate the condition to appear.
THE MAJOR CAUSES OF HEARTBURN, ACIDITY AND STOMACH GAS
Consumption of fatty, spicy, fried foods.
Hastily eating food without proper chewing.
Alcohol abuse and Smoking
High sugar diets.
Caffeine consumption in excess.
Erratic and irregular food habits.
Overeating, especially immediately before bedtime.
Symptoms Of Stomach Gas And Heartburn
The undue pressure within your stomach may force the excess acids to flow upwards through the esophagus causing acidity or heartburn. Similarly, gas is also force released. A vast majority suffer the following symptoms:
- Burning sensation in the stomach, throat and chest;
- Stressed swallowing;
- Sour or bitter taste in the mouth;
- Bad breath;
- Difficulty in losing weight.
Treatment Of Heartburn
The strategy for treatment of your chronic stomach gas, acidity or heartburn could be short term or long term. The short-term remedy involves the use of medications, and certain home remedies and the long-term a planned diet and suitable lifestyle changes.
Medications For Acidity
Some over the counter (OTC) medicines are taken for immediate relief of severe symptoms. Other medicines used to counter acidity are sure to have side effects after prolonged use. Therefore, drug-related treatment is fraught with hazards.
Home Remedies To Prevent Acidity & Stomach Gas
Easily available ingredients at home form the core of this mode of treatment. It may not fully cure your condition but could help you in relief from the severity and control of your symptoms. They are:
- 1.Banana: It is a sure antidote to a severe bout of acidity.
- 2. Cold milk: Its high calcium content helps in neutralizing acids and provides instant relief. It also helps in dealing with stomach gas.
- 3. Buttermilk: The lactic acid in a glass of cold buttermilk is an antidote to acidity. It is also rich in natural probiotic that is beneficial in the control of stomach gas and bloating.
- 4. Fennel: A few seeds of fennel chewed after a meal ensures proper digestion and relief from heartburn and consequent stomach gas.
- 5. Basil leaves: Its carminative property reduces the effect of gastric acids and curbs stomach gas formation.
- 6. Pineapple juice: It is a coolant and a natural remedy to relieve heartburn.
- 7. Raw almonds: It is rich in natural oils which soothe and neutralize the acids in the stomach.
- 8. Mint leaves: It is the best natural coolant that prevents the formation of stomach gas, heartburn and acidity.
- 9. Clove: Its carminative property counters the effects of excess acids in your stomach.
- 10. Ginger: It keeps your metabolism strong and reduces the severity of gas and acidity.
- 11. Garlic: It is not only good for your cardiac health, but it is also a remedy for acidity.
- 12. Gooseberries: It is a natural deterrent for acidity.
Dietary Effect On Stomach Acids
A common misconception is that sudden weight loss diets lead to stomach gas and heartburn. Though partially true, losing weight remains the key to fight heartburn and stomach gas.
According to experts, a diet that restores the alkalinity of the blood and encourages weight loss is the number one way to counter gas and heartburn. To treat excessive gas, weight loss is the primary solution. However, you have to keep in mind that not all weight loss foods are beneficial as some of them may aggravate gas formation.
Planned Diet For Acidity & Stomach Gas
A judicious selection of food items has to be made about which to be eaten and which not.
- Fruits: Fresh fruits like melons, mangoes, guavas and
- Vegetables: Leafy greens like spinach and other vegetables like potatoes, cucumber, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, mushrooms and soya beans.
- Salads: Without vinegar dressing.
- Honey: Highly nutritious and anti-oxidant rich.
- Grains: Corn and millets help in losing weight because of their low carbohydrate content.
- Curd soothes the stomach by dint of being a pro-biotic.
- Herbal teas help you to lose weight.
- Yogurt can regulate your digestive system.
- Dry Fruits: Dates, raisins and avocado are popular high-calorie food
- Excessive Alcohol
- Aerated, carbonated and sugary drinks
- Vinegar, pickles and other food additives.
- Processed and packaged foods
- Apples and vegetables like lettuce and cauliflower, which generate gas.
- Citrus fruits such as oranges
- Packaged fruit juices
- Fried and spicy foods
- Cheese, cakes and pastries.
Solutions To Prevent Heartburn and Stomach Gas
Adjustments and changes in your lifestyle is a necessity in your battle against acidity. These changes can bring a positive effect on your status:
- Regular exercises and physical activity is a must.
- Yoga, meditation, and deep breathing shall reduce stress and anxiety.
- Ensure a restful night with sound sleep.
- Eat slowly chewing your food thoroughly. This will prevent inhalation of air while eating and inhibit gas formation.
- Eat natural whole low fat and sugar foods.
- Eat dinner early and do not sleep immediately after.
- Avoid popping pills unnecessarily without consulting a doctor.
- Drink plenty of water – it is the best natural cleanser.
Weight loss is the key to free yourself from the clutches of unpleasant effects of gas and heartburn, if you are judicious in choosing and planning your diet, notwithstanding the overstated concept that sudden weight loss diets lead to stomach gas and heartburn. On the contrary, it shall increase your chances of living a healthy contented life without the ill-effects of excessive gas and heartburn.