12 Real Amazing Benefits Of Skipping For Weight Loss
Medically reviewed by Dharshitha, Nutrition Training and Quality Manager for PAN India
Each one of us wants to lose weight faster! And yes! it is not easy as we know it. But we here are going to tell you one of the fastest ways to lose weight and that is Skipping.
Table of Content
I am sure you remember your school days when you would be either skipping alone or in a large group. There are so many types of skipping like crossover, forward and back, single leg hopping.
Besides being an incredibly fun game, skipping benefits include burning calories, boosting the heart rate and many more.
Skipping improves your cardiovascular system. and helps burn an intensive number of calories in a short period of time.
So why not bring those young days again and make your workout sessions more fun and livelier?
Benefits Of Skipping Rope
Relishing the memory of skipping in childhood, today we have come to a point where we will understand its benefits that were left unheard.
- Skipping for weight loss is considered to be one of the best cardio and High-Intensity Interval Training workouts.
- It helps you lose around 1300 calories/hour (which is quite a lot actually)
- Skipping for weight loss helps you lose more calories than running would. Another great edge it has over running is that skipping can be easily done indoors and even bad weather conditions or pollution or traffic cannot come in the way of our convenient weight loss exercise .
- You can buy a skipping rope under Rs. 200 and thus, it makes it one of the most economical forms of exercise.
- Skipping for weight loss helps in toning of the muscle also along with being a super effective weight loss exercise.
- It tremendously improves our energy level, balance, coordination, and agility. According to a study published in Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, Skipping rope for five minutes for the duration of four weeks significantly improved the physical work capacity of women subjects .
- It is considered one of the best and most effective exercises for endurance training.
- Skipping for weight loss is an all-rounder exercise that helps in toning the thighs and calf muscles. It also works wonders for your arms and abs.
- As compared to running, skipping proves to be a less strenuous form of exercise and thus puts less pressure on the joints.
- Skipping for weight loss improves the heart rate & health and is therefore good for blood pressure patients.
- Skipping also helps in improving bone density and thus reduces the chances of osteoporosis .
- Last but not least, skipping for weight loss is one of the low costs and low maintenance exercises which can be done by people of all ages. The equipment, which is actually just the skipping rope, does not require much space to be kept and is no maintenance equipment.
Know where you are failing in your dieting plan.
Know how Healthy you eat
Benefits of Skipping for Weight Loss
Well, the number of calories you burn by skipping for weight loss depends on your body weight and the intensity with which you skip that rope.
If you are heavy, you obviously need more energy to jump and thus you burn more calories keeping the intensity same as a lighter person would apply.
But yes, if you applied more intensity, you could burn more calories and thus lose more weight .
The Effectiveness of skipping in weight loss
The following points should elaborate on the effectiveness of skipping as a weight loss exercise
Skipping rope works out all the muscles of your body and obviously, the more muscles workout during an exercise, the more calories you burn losing more weight.
Skipping for weight loss is an exercise where you can keep changing the intensity with which you jump over a period of time. As a beginner, you start with low-intensity skipping and as you gain control and coordination of your brain, eye, limbs, and energy, you can easily enhance the intensity of the exercise while lowering it down when you are tired.
It is an exercise where you can even play around with the styles and ways to skip the rope, to turn it into a more effective cardiovascular exercise in the following ways :
- You can do singles and vary the intensity or the timing or both.
- You can do single-leg skipping, high steps, skiers’ jumps (feet together, knees bent and jump an inch to the left and an inch to the right).
- When you feel that you are a pro at singles, you can start trying doubles or triple unders. This means that you have to jump a little bit higher and make the rope move faster so the rope passes 2 or 3 times per jump.
Take back your Immunity with our Immune Booster Diet plan
6 Tips to Enjoy the Skipping Benefits Better
Though skipping is a low maintenance exercise which gives great benefits, you have to keep certain points in mind while doing this exercise if you wish to achieve those benefits.
- The skipping rope should of good quality. A bad quality rope can injure you and ruin the mood for exercise.
- Skipping is an exercise which is better done barefoot. Skipping barefoot has many advantages and one of them is that skipping barefoot makes your feet strong. It also helps in curing many foot related problems. If at all, you feel uncomfortable skipping barefoot, buy a good pair of shock absorbing shoes and wear them while doing this exercise.
- For women, it is very important to wear a good sports bra while skipping failing which, it can cause a tear in the breast tissues.
- When you decide to start skipping for weight loss, keep in mind the surface you are doing this exercise on. Totally avoid carpeted surfaces. Prefer skipping on shock absorbing surfaces like wooden floors or other smooth floors.
- You need a fair amount of open space while skipping for weight loss. You have to ensure that you get ample space to stretch your arms and the rope does not get stuck anywhere while skipping. If you do not have enough space for skipping, you will not be able to do the exercise properly and you may get injured also.
- Skipping being a high-intensity exercise, it requires a proper warm-up session before you start the exercise, otherwise, you may end up with an overstretched limb of muscle.
So what are you waiting for? Pick up those ropes and start skipping towards your weight-loss journey.
To know more about such effective exercises and weight loss through real foods and nutrition, contact our Truweight Nutritionist today. The first consultation is on us! Click here to avail it.
Other benefits of skipping
As the advantages of Skipping in weight loss, there are multiple other benefits of Skipping over health. Some of them are:
1. Increases body flexibility:
Skipping is also as good as yoga in terms of increasing flexibility. Jumping involved in Skipping provides good strength to reflex and relax muscles. This is hence included in the fitness regime of boxers.
2. Constitutes as full body workout:
Skipping is one of the recommended exercises for full body workouts like cardio. It requires maximum strength to skip and hence burns a lot of calories throughout the body.
3. Increases stamina and gets rid of fatigue:
The more you do Skipping regularly the more your stamina increases. Once you develop a consistent skipping range, your fatigue starts to decrease.
4. Helps strengthen your lower body muscles:
Skipping barefoot has proven to strengthen your lower body muscles. It also depends on your intensity of skipping.
5. Induces your bone strength:
With all the above benefits of jumping with a rope, bone strength is also an added benefit as the benefits of Skipping in weight loss.
6. Glows your Skin:
Skipping requires and burns a lot of energy and hence you will gradually sweat a lot. That again, glows your skin and helps as anti-aging.
Knowing these benefits of Skipping in weight loss, you must be charged to do Skipping now. Well! That is what we want. It will bring you in terms with proper weight loss by energy and fat burning exercise. It increases your will to do workout, since it is not hard to find a Skipping rope, nor you have to bother about the place to perform.
Even with all these benefits, your mind is what you have to make it up to, to do the exercise. Be it skipping or any other workout. So, do not delay further and get going!
Q. Can skipping alone make you lose weight?
A. You have to create a calorie deficit environment for your body where you have to burn more calories than you consume.
Therefore, a calorie restricted diet along with exercise is very important to lose weight.
Q. How much should you do skipping weight loss in order to lose weight?
A. If your calorie intake is as much as the number of calories you burn every day, skipping rope for three hours a week should start making you lose weight.
Q. Is skipping weight loss a good way to lose belly fat?
A. Skipping rope is a low impact exercise which makes you lose weight from all over the body. So yes, it is a good way to lose belly fat.
Q. Is skipping better than running?
A. Definitely Skipping! Skipping has less impact on your joints and works more muscle groups than running or any other exercises. It has proven to be most effective with losing weight.