Cooking time: 45min
Level of Cooking : medium
Mint Rice is a great recipe, especially in summers. Mint or pudina is easily available and it’s rather easy to prepare a bowl of mint rice. All you need to do is add some chopped coconut, coriander to brown rice and voila, you have an easy recipe prepared.
For the mint paste:
- 1 cup chopped mint
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 to 2 green chillies
- ½ inch ginger
- ¾ garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped coconut
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 tbsp water for grinding or add as required
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cloves/lavang
- 2 small cardamom
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup heaped cup fresh
- 1.5 to 2 cups water
- 2 tsp oil
- salt as required
- Rinse 1 cup of brown rice and soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain the rice and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, when the rice is soaking, prepare other ingredients. Take 1 cup chopped mint leaves, ½ cup chopped coriander leaves, ½ tsp chopped ginger, ½ tsp chopped garlic, 1 or 2 chopped green chilies, 1 tsp coriander seeds, ½ tsp cumin seeds in a chutney grinder or small wet grinder.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsp water and grind to a smooth paste. Add more water if required while grinding.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pressure cooker. Add the following whole spices – 1 inch cinnamon, 2 green cardamoms, 3 cloves.
- Then add sliced onions. about 1 medium onion which has been thinly sliced.
- Saute till the onions become golden. Then add the ground mint paste.
- Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ¼ tsp red chili powder. Stir and saute the masala paste for a minute or two.
- Then add ¼ cup fresh or frozen peas and stir.
- Add the drained rice and stir gently. The oil should coat the rice grains well. Stir and saute for a minute.
- Add 1.5 to 2 cups of water. Stir well. Add salt and stir again.
- Cover the lid properly and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles till the rice grains are cooked.