Horse Gram Lentil Soup Recipe!
Horse-gram Dal is a mouth-watering dish prepared in Andhra. It is rated as one of the most nutritious lentils and is known for its low glycemic index and positive effects on people with low blood pressure. Usually served with fresh cream and rice, you can substitute the two with sautéed vegetables or whole wheat bread.
- 1cup horse gram dal (ulavalu, soaked overnight)
- Small lemon sized ball of tamarind (soaked in hot water)
- 3 green chilies (slit lengthwise)
- 10 button onions(peeled)
- 2 dry red chilies
- 10 curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp jiggery
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 garlic cloves
Also read about: Wholesome Vegetable Pulao Recipe!
- Grind coriander seeds, cumin seeds and garlic cloves to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Soak the horse gram (ulavalu) overnight and boil it in a large pot. Boil it till the dal is well cooked. Strain the dal and keep the liquid aside.
- Take ½ cup of cooked horse gram and one cup of strained ulavalu water and grind it to paste. Do the same with the remaining horse gram
- Heat 2 tbsp oil, add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Now add cumin seeds, whole red chilies and curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Now add the onions and green chilies and fry for few minutes. Add the strained horse gram water and let it boil.
- Add salt, jaggery and turmeric powder. Now add the ground powder, horse gram paste and tamarind paste and let it cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally till you get thick soup like consistency.
- Serve hot.
Note: Spices and the sourness of the dish can be adjusted according to your taste.