Quinoa is a pseudo-cereal that has well well-established health benefits.
It can be added with the number of regular dishes to extract its health benefits and nutrient content.
Table of Content
Fruit Salad With Quinoa
Its addition to the regular salad can add on to nutritional value along with increasing variety.
- Quinoa grains- ½ cup
- Honey- 1.5 tbsp
- Lemon- 1 medium size
- Freshly chopped mint leaves- 1 tbsp
- Black grapes- 1 cup
- Watermelon- cubed 1 cup
- Mango- cubed 1 cup
Method of Preparation
1. Preparation of grains– boil quinoa for 5 minutes on medium flame followed by simmering for 15 minutes at low flame.
2. Preparation of the dressing- mix honey, lime juice and finely chopped mint leaves
3. Preparation of salad: In a large bowl, mix all the fruits, honey-lime dressing, and boiled quinoa. Mix them together.
- Along with the goodness of fruits, the addition of quinoa enhances the nutrient content of the salad.
- Rich in Antioxidants- The compounds like carotenes (Mango), black grapes (Anthocyanin), flavonoids (quinoa) makes this salad a great source of free radical scavenging.
- Fibre: The fruits like mango, watermelon, and pseudo-grain- quinoa
- Great sources of fibre that helps in keeping gut health intact, preventing constipation and also good regulation of blood sugar and cholesterol level.
- Great source of minerals- Minerals like manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, copper and iron- this is the cumulative effect of minerals in fruits and quinoa been added to the salad-
- Impacts the regular physiological functions like glucose metabolism, the growth of connective tissues, proper development during pregnancy.
- Good source of Vitamins- Fruits are a good source of vitamins like Vitamin A, B1, B2, and B6. Additional nutrient enrichment is with the addition of quinoa.
- Protein enrichment- Quinoa is the great source of protein with the supply of essential amino acids, making the regular fruit salad more nutritious.
Creamy Fruit Salad With Nuts
Fruit with nuts is a classic combination and what can be better than adding the scrumptious creamy texture to it.
Yoghurt is an excellent choice to add texture, flavour and nutritional value.
- Red grapes- ½ cup
- Pomegranate- ½ cup
- Mango- 1 medium sized
- Yoghurt- 1 cup
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Walnuts- 1 tbsp
- Roasted almonds- ½ tbsp
Method of Preparation
1. Preparation of yoghurt dressing- mix honey and yoghurt together. Can also add vanilla extract (optional)
2. Add all the chopped fruits in a bowl
3. Add the yoghurt dressing and nuts to the fruit mix.
4. Toss well
5. Keep in refrigerator and serve chill.
Red grapes- These are good sources of minerals like copper, iron, and magnesium that helps in healthy metabolism. Also, a great source of antioxidants like flavonoids and Polyphenols that help in scavenging free radicals, anti-inflammatory and heart protecting activity
Pomegranate- It is an excellent source of copper, potassium, and manganese along with the considerable amount of vitamins like C and K that helps in boosting up the immunity and skin health.
The polyphenolic compounds like anthocyanin, cyaniding, ellagic acid, ellagitannins, pelargonidin, and punicalin have been proved to have therapeutic effects against many diseases like cancer, diabetes, heart diseases and inflammation.
Mango- it is a very good source of potassium, copper, and magnesium. Therefore ensures,
a. proper muscle contraction
b. nerve impulse transmission
c. normal metabolism of glucose in blood
d. fluid balance and blood pressure regulation.
Also, it is a good source of antioxidants like Vitamin C and beta-carotene that helps in destroying free radicals from the body.
Yoghurt- Excellent source of calcium- to ensure proper metabolism and bone health as well.
The yoghurt contains a good amount of protein enriched with essential amino acids and branched chain amino acids such as valine, leucine, and isoleucine. Also a good source of Vitamin B12.
Rich in probiotics- that helps in a healthy digestive system, vitamin synthesis and boosting up the immunity system.
Nuts- Great source of Omega- 3 fatty acids, vitamin E (acting as an antioxidant) and L- arginine (improve the artery health by enhancing its flexibility preventing plaque and clot formation)
A Nutritious Tip
You can add twist to your regular salad by adding various convenient, available ingredients. Add options like- peanuts, cottage cheese, sprouts, cooked beans as well.
Craving to eat something sweet but worried about the extra calories it may get along?
Here is a foolproof recipe that is creamy, tasty, and an instant pick-me-up snack.