Broken Wheat Veg Khichidi
Serves – 2
Preparation time – 20 mins
Level of cooking – easy
Broken wheat veg khichidi is a popular Indian recipe made from dal, broken wheat (dalia) and spices. If you do not have the time to prepare heavy meals or if you want something healthy and easy to digest at the blink of an eye, khichidi is definitely a great option. Wanna learn more about this awesome broken wheat veg khichidi recipe? Continue reading…
½ Cup Dalia (Cracked wheat or
½ Cup green split Moong split or skinned
yellow moong dal)
½ Cup Cauliflower florets
¼ Cup chopped carrots
¼ cup peas/ beans
¼ Cup chopped potatoes(optional)
1 Green chili chopped
½ Tablespoon grated ginger
1 Small onion – chopped
1 Medium ripe tomato- Chopped
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds (Jeera)
1 Pinch of asafetida (Hing)
1 Whole dry red chilies – Break Chile in
2 tsp of curry leaves
2 tsp vegetable oil
salt to your taste
- In a bowl add dalia (cracked wheat) and dal and wash it with water several times until the water appears clear, and then soak them in 2 cups water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the dalia and dal are soaked, carefully pour out the water and keep them aside.
- Chop the vegetables. Keep them aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat the oil, add cumin seeds and asafetida and fry them for 1 minute or until they become light brown.
- Add red chili pieces and fry them for 1 minute or until the chilies become light brown.
- Add chopped onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until they become light brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix with sautéed onions.
- Add chopped vegetables and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add the soaked dalia and moong dal, salt turmeric powder and 3½ cups of water, and mix. Close the lid of the cooker and cook on medium heat.