Cooking time: 30 minutes
Level of cooking: medium
Whole grains like Barley are becoming more and more popular because of the rising health concerns these days. They are a great source of dietary fibre, minerals and vitamins. This Barley Porridge recipe along with milk is a great and healthy alternative to sweet dishes.
- 1/2 cup whole barley
- 4 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- Sugar and milk to taste
- Soak the barley in 3/4 cup water for 1 hour.
- At the end of the hour, add the remaining 3 1/2 cups of water to a saucepan along with the cinnamon stick, cover pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the soaked barley as well as the soaking liquid to the boiling water and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes or until the barley is soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat and sweeten with sugar and milk to taste, stirring until fully incorporated.