Turmeric Health Benefits: Unravel the 8 Facets of Turmeric You Rarely Knew
From imparting that yellow charm in our curries to holding an entire ceremony at Indian weddings, benefits of turmeric are all around us.
This herbaceous plant has proven its importance in fields like medicine, beauty and of course, culinary.
Its constituent curcumin is the hero element that is responsible for reducing heart attacks, improving immunity as well as having anti-cancer properties.
Here are the 8 health benefits of turmeric that will blow your mind.
1. Include turmeric, it prevents heart attack and protects heart health:
Turmeric contains curcumin, a chemical component which relaxes blood vessels and protects the heart by reducing blood clots in the arterial region which in turn reduces heart attack.
Curcumin triggers the liver to eliminate bad cholesterol from our body by which it keeps the heart healthy How?
Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a chemical compound that shows heart diseases preventive measures.
While unhealthy eating, stressful lives are the contributors to such heart diseases death rate in the country, turmeric has been found to be effective in protecting our hearts.
Do you know?
a] In a study covered on rats, curcumin showed inhibition of a protein, p300, which was effective in bringing down heart attacks in rats. 
b] In a demonstration, it was found that 500 mg curcumin daily reduces total cholesterol levels by 17%
2. Have turmeric, it improves body’s immunity:
Turmeric is effective in boosting the immune system due to the presence of curcumin.
a] Curcumin in turmeric is able to kill the unwanted body invading substances and bacteria that often leads to diseases.
It boosts the Cathelicidin Antimicrobial aka CAMP in the body that strengthens the immune system and helps it to fight diseases.
b] Turmeric is also beneficial in treating respiratory issues like chest congestion. Remember, our moms and grand moms giving us Turmeric milk i.e, haldi doodh whenever we have cold and cough?
Now we surely know that Naani’s haldi nushka had a scientific base!
3. Add turmeric to your diet, it prevents cancer:
Like we already mentioned, turmeric has been showing positive effects on preventing cancers.
The curcumin chemical has been extensively studied and results have been found that on a molecular level, it can affect the growth, development as well as multiplication of cancerous cells.
a] Curcumin has properties that are anti cancerous.
b] A 2007 American study in mice seemed to show that curcumin helped to stop the spread of breast cancer cells to other parts of the body. 
c] The molecules in our body cells undergo different interacting activities along certain pathways. There arises a traffic along these pathways. It has been mentioned in a study that curcumin affects this traffic that results in anti cancer activity.
Moreover, curcumin has shown to target cancer cells specifically and not the healthy cells. Also, curcumin
- Decreases the effect of the proliferation of tumour cells.
- Prevents the healthy body cells in transforming into tumours.
- Prevents cancer cell angiogenesis, which is the process of forming new blood vessels.
- Stops cancer cell multiplication by destroying them.
4. Take turmeric, especially during stomach troubles:
Another benefit of turmeric is that it can rectify the common gastrointestinal issues like Constipation, Cramping, Irritable bowel syndrome.
The curcumin helps in relieving stomach issues:
a] It has anti-inflammatory actions which help it fight inflammation in the digestive tract.
b] Turmeric helps in enhancing the bile production. Bile is released by gall bladder that helps in digesting food better.
c] It helps in relieving diarrhoea.
d] It also helps in relieving of trapped gas that relaxes the digestive system.
Also check out:
5. Eat turmeric, to enhance brain functioning:
Curcumin in turmeric stimulates blood flow and reduces inflammation that contributes to healthy brain functioning.
This helps in improving our memory and cognitive functions.
In a recent study using curcumin on mice resulted in improved traumatic memories in them.
Moreover, turmeric helps in
- Preventing long term oxidative stress
- Improving nervous activity
- Turmeric is found to be helpful in improving the memory of people in the early stages of diabetes.
- It is also helpful in halting or reducing memory impairment found people with dementia. 
- Curcumin also effectively clears amyloid plaque, which are sticky accumulations outside neurons. This helps in preventing the progress of Alzheimer’s disease. 
6. Have more turmeric flavorings, it reduces cholesterol:
Studies on animals have shown that turmeric has positive effects on the levels of total cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides.
a] Turmeric prevents the LDL from being oxidised.
b] Turmeric also prevents the production of cholesterol in the liver.
It has been mentioned in WebMD, that regular consumption of turmeric extracts help in maintaining cholesterol levels.
7. Add turmeric to your dishes, it helps in weight loss:
Turmeric due to its super chemical constituents is very useful in weight loss too.
- Curcumin in turmeric helps in preventing fat accumulation in the adipose tissues by preventing angiogenesis in the adipose cells.
- Turmeric has substances like gingerols and shagaols, also found in ginger (update ginger article link), have thermogenic properties. Thermogenesis in the body promotes calorie burning that in turn, helps in weight loss. This is also the process through which Green tea helps in weight loss.
- Curcumin act on body inflammation that is related to obesity by its anti-inflammatory actions.
- Curcumin in turmeric lowers blood sugar level that makes it good for fighting diabetes which is yet another reason of gaining weight.
The following doses are recommended for adults:
- Cut root: 1.5 to 3 g per day
- Dried, powdered root: 1 to 3 g per day
- Standardized powder (curcumin): 400 to 600 mg, 3 times per day
- Fluid extract (1:1) 30 to 90 drops a day
- Tincture (1:2): 15 to 30 drops, 4 times per day
8. Make turmeric face masks and add it to hair oil:
Turmeric has antiseptic properties that make it effective in treating acne and pimples.
A mask of turmeric helps in clearing acne marks as well as fight breakouts. Moreover, turmeric face masks also have effective anti ageing properties.
Turmeric when applied with olive oil help in fighting dandruff and different scalp issues.
a] Mix turmeric powder with sandalwood powder. Add some lemon juice to it. Apply the face pack and keep it for 10 mins. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. This helps in fighting acnes and pimples.
b] Make a paste of turmeric powder and gram flour with plain water. Apply the paste on your face and keep it until dry. This helps in anti ageing.
a] Apply turmeric and honey along with some milk to prevent hair loss.
b] Apply a paste of turmeric powder and olive oil on the scalp. Leave it for 10-15 mins before washing your hair. This prevents dandruff condition.
Q. What does turmeric do for you?
A. Besides being an active component in our dishes, there are medicinal as well as beauty benefits of turmeric like mentioned above.
Q. Is taking turmeric safe?
A. Yes, if taken in recommended doses, turmeric is very much safe.
However, overdoses will bring you certain health issues.
6 side effects when turmeric is over consumed:
- Hyperactive gallbladder contractions.
- Uterine contractions in pregnant women.
- Increased menstrual flow
Q. How do I use turmeric powder?
A. Turmeric powder can be used in cooking as well as face packs for fighting skin problems like acne, drying of skin and ageing signs.
Q. Is turmeric blood thinner?
A. Yes, turmeric is a natural blood thinner, that prevents platelet clumping. And it is advised that people on blood thinner medications should avoid turmeric.
There are answers to different health concerns right among the foods that we eat every day. We bet, you never knew this wonderful side of turmeric which is a common Indian kitchen must have.
In Truweight, we aim at bringing the best out of foods because what we eat can make us how healthy we live.
To know more about healthy tips, diet plans, recipes and superfoods follow our blogs. And for a healthy way out to manage your weight, here’s a great opportunity. Click here to have the first Truweight Nutritionist’s consultation for FREE!
Watch out playlist on Healthy Recipes: