Don’t let the dark brown colour of the ragi vermicelli upma daunt you! This deep red millet is a rich source of calcium, a much-needed mineral for strengthening bones. How to make this super healthy? Throw in some crunchy and colourful vegetables for the fibre punch. For now, we provide the recipe for a simple ragi vermicelli upma recipe.
Serves – 2
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Level of cooking – easy
- Ragi Semiya-1 cuP
- Onion Chopped -1 cup
- Green chilli-1 finely chopped
- Ginger – 1-inch piece finely chopped
- Salt needed
For the seasoning
- Oil -1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Urad dal -1/2 tsp
- Red chilli -1
- Hing -1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves 3-4
- Take plenty of water, add needed salt and soak ragi semiya/vermicelli in the water. Let it remain in the water for 3 minutes.
- Drain the water completely using a strainer. Steam it in an idli pot or steamer for 5 minutes. Once cooked, spread it on a plate. Our steamed ragi vermicelli is ready.
- For seasoning heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal, red chilli and hing. When dal turns golden brown, add finely chopped onions, ginger, green chilli, salt needed and curry leaves
- Saute until onions turn transparent. Now add the steamed ragi semiya, mix well and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.Remove from heat, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with any chutney of your choice.