Lobia Masala Curry
Did you know 1 cup of lobia or black eyed beans can deliver up to 20% of your calcium, magnesium and iron needs?
Sadly, though, these beans make a rare appearance in the diet.
So it is time to feature them prominently and what better way than to make lobia masala curry.
Serves – 2
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Level of cooking – medium
- ½ cup lobia (black eyed beans)
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 green chili
- 1 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp ginger (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 inch piece of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp cumin seed
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the lobia in lukewarm water for 4-5 hours.
- Drain and pressure cook soaked lobia for 2-3 whistles adding enough water and a pinch of salt.
- Heat oil in kadai. Add ginger, garlic , green chili and onion. Sauté till onions are soft and the raw smell disappears.
- Add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turn pulpy.
- Cool all the ingredients and grind to a fine paste adding little water to it.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a kadai; add cinnamon and cumin seed. When the cumin seeds start to splutter, add the above ground gravy along with pepper powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt. Saute till gravy is dry and little dark in color.
- Add the boiled lobia to the gravy along with little water and mix all the ingredients well. Let it cook for 9-10 minutes till the gravy thickens.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and cream.