How To Make Dhokla Recipe | Truweight
Healthy Dhokla Recipe
So it is snack time, your stomach is grumbling but with weight loss on your mind, what can you snack upon that is light calorie-wise and yet tasty?
Dhokla is the perfect snack for you then.
Quick to make, light on the stomach and on your waist, this snack is sure to fill you up and make your soul happy!
- 1/2 cup chana flour/ besan
- ¼ inch ginger + 1 green chili – crushed and made into a paste in a mortar-pestle
- 1/2 cup water or as required
- 1/2 tsp oil
- a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tsp lemon juice – from 1 medium sized lemon
- 1/2 tsp eno (fruit salt) or baking soda
- salt as required
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds (rai or sarson)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds (safed til)
- 5 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1/2 tbsp grated coconut (optional)
Mix all the ingredients mentioned under the list ‘main ingredients’ except for the fruit salt.
The batter has to be slightly thicker than the idli batter.
Keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, add 3-4 cups water in the steamer and heat it.
Grease a pan with oil. Add the eno and stir briskly.
Don’t over do as you don’t want the air bubbles to escape.
Quickly pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Spread evenly and shake the pan to even out the batter.
Keep the pan in the steamer.
Cover the steamer and steam for approx 18-20 minutes.
We can use an electric steamer.
Check with a toothpick to see the doneness and if the toothpick comes out clean, then the dhokla is ready.
Remove the dhokla and allow to cool for 5-6 minutes.
You can temper directly or un-mould the dhokla carefully in a serving plate and then slice and then temper it.
Heat oil in a small pan. first add the mustard seeds. let them pop first.
Then add cumin and allow to crackle them.
Add the asafoetida, sesame seeds and curry leaves and fry for some seconds.
Switch off the flame. add 2 tbsp water in the tempering.
Be careful as the oil is hot and adding water would create a splurge. so add the water carefully.
Pour the tempering mixture evenly over the dhokla.
Top dhokla with some chopped coriander leaves or freshly grated coconut.
Slice and serve the rava dhokla warm or cool.