High-fiber foods are one of the most important food groups that we must include into our diet. Because these foods help in regulating numerous body functions. The most important role of high fiber foods is their ability to relieve constipation.
Table of Contents
- 10 High-Fiber Foods
- How Does a High Fiber Diet Increase Weight Loss?
- 4 Ways How High-Fibre foods help in Weight Loss
- 8 High fiber fruits
- 3 Important Benefits of High-Fiber Diet Plan
- 9 Diet Tips To Increase Fiber Intake
Besides that, high fiber foods are among the most potent foods when it comes to weight loss.
The reason? These foods help you bulk up on dietary fiber which promotes weight loss and improves your health overall.
Want to know what is the role of fiber and how does it help in weight loss.You can ask a Nutrition Coach for FREE
10 High-Fiber Foods
- Apples, bananas, oranges, strawberries
- Exotic fruits
- Dark-colored vegetables
- Nuts and seed
How Does a High Fiber Diet Increase Weight Loss?
A high-fiber meal takes very long to be chewed, so you eat less. They also take a long time to digest, very slowly releasing sugar into the bloodstream, so you feel fuller for longer.
High-fiber foods also tend to have a very low calorific value, besides also being rich in antioxidants and micro-nutrients, which play a vital role in weight loss and helping you fight disease and infections.
4 Ways How High-Fibre foods help in Weight Loss
High fiber foods fill up the stomach and hence control your hunger pangs. Therefore, your daily food gorging will lessen up and you will also be able to avoid unhealthy snacks.
2. Reduces fat storage
High-Fiber foods contain both soluble and insoluble form of fiber. The soluble fiber absorbs water and forms a gelly environment inside the gut.
This gel formation reduces the rate of sugar absorption into the blood and hence lowers the blood sugar level. This, in turn, lowers the insulin levels which helps in reducing fat storage in the body.
3. Reduces body inflammation
High-fiber foods are known to help beneficial gut bacteria, which releases certain substances that reduce the levels of body inflammation.
One of the major impacts of inflammation in the body is that it reduces the effectiveness of the weight control hormone, leptin. Hence high-fiber foods help in weight loss by reducing body inflammation. 
4. Reduces appetite
The viscous soluble fibers in the high-fiber foods form gelly substances, mentioned above. This gel then covers the gut and slows down the process of stomach emptying.
8 High fiber fruits
List of High fiber fruits
Note: The skin of the apple has the most fiber in it. Raspberries have around 8 grams of fiber, mango has 5 grams and 1 cup of guava has about 9 grams of fiber.
Besides being excellent for weight loss, there are numerous health benefits of fiber. From reducing the risk of formation of kidney stones to increase absorption of different nutrients.
3 Important Benefits of following a High-Fiber Diet Plan:
Besides helping you keep your overeating in check, high fiber foods have a host of other benefits.
- Your bowel movements are better regulated if you eat a high-fiber diet.
- Eating foods high in fiber ensures that your blood sugar and bad cholesterol levels in the blood remain low, thus protecting your heart.
- It has been observed that eating fibrous foods before a meal decreases the amount of food intake overall which helps you control your obesity and results in weight loss.
9 Diet Tips To Increase Fiber Intake
Looking for fiber supplements? We bring to you the following tips to increase your fiber intake through our daily diet.
- Instead of drinking fruit juices, opt for a whole fruit. Eat the peel, where possible.
- Start any meal with a portion of salad. This usually takes you 10 minutes to eat, so you can limit your intake of food by eating a salad. Further, as you eat you will realize that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to realize that your stomach is full.
- Refrain from eating refined flour, but choose whole grains such as whole wheat flour. This means saying a big NO to biscuits, though you can eat oatmeal cookies and whole grain biscuits as they are high in fiber.
- Add a dash of soaked almonds or walnuts, or flax seeds or fenugreek seeds to your meals to increase your fiber content.
- Drink vegetable drinks or soups before a meal, and eat green leafy vegetables to enhance your intake of fiber.
- Adding bran to your flour will act as a natural fiber supplement.
- If you love eating white bread, say goodbye to it and instead opt for brown bread, whole grain pasta, and oats.
- You don’t have to sacrifice taste for health but use both judiciously and innovatively so that you get the double benefit of good taste and good food.
- While it is always great to increase the amount of fiber you consume daily, it is always advisable to check with your dietitian first. They will be able to guide you so that you get much better results.
Did you know?
Oatmeal is a good source of fiber
Oatmeal has soluble fiber, a type of fiber that is very beneficial for your heart.