Our emphasis on whole foods is not for anything. Whole grains/pulses/legumes are rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals. This green dal promises to give you all that and more.
Cooking Time: 20 min
Level of cooking: medium
- Whole green moong (whole green gram) – ½ cup
- Water – 1½ cups + ¾ cup
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Onion – ⅓ cup, chopped
- Tomato – ½ cup, chopped
- Coriander powder – ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – 1½ teaspoon or to taste
- Wash the moong under running cold water and soak in enough water for 2 hours.
- Then drain the soaked moong and add to the pressure cooker with 1 ½ cups of water. Pressure cook it for 1 whistle on high then lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes on low heat. Once pressure releases, open the lid.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then mix in onions and salt, cook till onions become soft and translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- The mix in dry spice powders and saute for a minute.
- Add boiled moong and ¾ cups of water. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then turn off the gas heat. Squeeze some lemon juice and add chopped cilantro leaves.
- Stir and it is ready to serve.