Beetroot Dal Chutney
Think of the colour red and beetroot will feature prominently.
This deep red colored vegetable, due to the abundant betalain pigment, is rich in a host of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. A little of this chutney is sure to fire up the colour and nutrient quotient of your plate.
Servings – 1-2
Cooking time – 20 min
Level of cooking – Medium
- 1 Beetroot
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chana dhal
- 1 tsp urad dhal
- 3 red chilli
- A handful of curry leaves
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp oil
- Peel the skin of the beetroot and chop it into small cubes.
- In a pan, add oil, cumin seeds, red chilli, garlic, curry leaves, chana dal and urad dal.
- Saute this on a low flame till the dals turn golden brown.
- Keep this aside.
- Now add the chopped beetroot and saute this on a medium flame without getting burnt. Cook for 10 mins.
- Allow it to cool. Grind this along with the dal mixture into a fine paste.
- In a pan add a drop of oil and then add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the ground beetroot chutney.
- Saute in a low flame for a minute.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl.