The long-lasting benefits of Ayurveda on our health and wellbeing is widely known all around the world. In recent years, this oldest medicine system has once again revolutionized the medical science.
In fact for a patient suffering from diabetes, ayurvedic medicines have proved to be a true blessing by not only treating the disease but also creating natural defenses for further damage.
Before understanding how ayurvedic medicines for diabetes, it is important to know about diabetes and its kinds.
What exactly is Diabetes?
Diabetes Mellitus often referred to Diabetes, is a metabolic disorder which occurs due to inadequate insulin production and is associated with rising sugar content of the blood and appearance of sugar in the urine. 
Types of Diabetes
There are mainly two types of Diabetes.
This type of diabetes mainly develops in childhood and adolescence. It happens due to infection in the body, making the immune system vulnerable and further destroying the insulin-producing cells in the body.
This type is the more common type of diabetes which occurs when the pancreas is unable to produce the required amount of insulin in the body, resulting in the buildup of glucose (sugar) in the blood. Usually, Type 2 diabetes is mainly related to obesity, lack of physical activity, and unhealthy diets. 
Ayurveda on Diabetes
Ayurveda believes that the type 2 diabetes develops from an excess of the Kapha Dosha. Therefore, Ayurvedic treatment is mainly focused towards diet modification and lifestyle changes.
Even certain cleansing programs for regulating blood sugar levels are being offered by some Ayurvedic practitioners.
Ayurvedic Medicines for Diabetes
Natural is the best and these Ayurvedic medicines for diabetes prove it yet again !
It is considered to be one of the best remedies for diabetes. It should be taken on an empty stomach daily in the early morning. Almost 30 ml of juice should be consumed by the patient.
Method to Prepare:
- Peel the bitter gourd and cut it into small pieces.
- It is important to separate the seeds before putting pieces into the grinder.
- A small amount of water can also be added to adjust the consistency of the juice.
- Sieve the juice in order to remove excess pulp.
2. Neem Leaves, Tulsi Leaves, and Belpatras
3. Bel (Bael) Leaves
These leaves have antidiabetic characteristics . Therefore, diabetic patients should consume the extract of these leaves by mixing them with black pepper.
Another effective way could be to mix around 15 ml of Juice of bel leaves with 5g of honey. This concoction can be taken three times a day as a medicine for diabetes mellitus.
4. Ground Bay Leaf, Turmeric & Aloe Vera
Mix ground bay leaf (1/2 tbsp), turmeric (1/2 tbsp) and aloe vera gel (1 tbsp). This mixture should be taken twice a day before lunch and dinner. It is quite effective in controlling sugar in blood  .
Method to Prepare
- There are many ways in which Methi or fenugreek seeds can be consumed as a treatment for type 2 diabetes.
- Soak methi seeds in warm water overnight. These soaked seeds should be chewed by the patient in the morning.
- These soaked methi seeds (4 tbsp) can also be crushed in the grinder along with the water (300 ml) in which they were soaked. Sieve the mixture and drink it. This therapy should be followed daily for at least 3 months.
- Grind seeds of Methi (100 gm). This methi powder is then mixed with turmeric powder (25gm). This mixture should be consumed with a glass of milk twice a day.
- Diabetic patients can also mix the powdered methi seeds into the wheat flour so that chapattis can be prepared from this dough. Regular consumption of these chapattis can bring quick results in the treatment of diabetes.
6. Cinnamon powder
This powder is also an ayurvedic medicine for diabetes. Mix 3-4 tbsp of cinnamon powder in one-liter water. This mixture is then heated for around 20 minutes.
After that, strain the mixture and leave it to cool. A diabetic patient should consume this cinnamon drink on a daily basis .
7. Jamun Seeds (Eugenia jambolana) and Jamun Leaves
Jamun leaves helps in preventing the conversion of starch into sugar. Thus chewing of 4-5 jamun leaves can be very beneficial for curing type 2 diabetes.
8. Amla (Embelica Officinalis)
Amla’s curative properties are widely known. Around 20 ml of juice, taken twice a day can be immensely good for the diabetic patient .
Even amla fruit can be ground into a powdered form and taken twice a day.
9. Banyan tree bark (ficus bengalensis)
The decoction of the bark of banyan tree can be another effective ayurvedic medicine . Take 20 gm of banyan tree bark and heat it in four glasses of water.
It should be heated till the time water is reduced to almost one glass. Then it should be consumed, once it gets cold.
10. Amalaki Churna
This herb can have a healing effect when it comes to diabetes. Mix Amalaki churna (500mg) with turmeric powder (500mg) and naag bhasma (125mg).
This mixture should be consumed with honey in order to reduce blood sugar.
11. Vijaysar Churna
It is also one of the trustworthy remedies for curing type 2 diabetes .
Patients can either consume the cubes of vijaysar directly or this cube can be soaked in water overnight. This water can be consumed on an empty stomach in the morning.
Triphala can be another ayurvedic medicine for diabetes as it helps in lowering the sugar levels in blood.
The decoction of equal parts of Triphala, the root of barberry, colocynth, and moth (20ml) should be prepared. This liquid can be taken with turmeric powder (4gm) twice a day.
Diet & Lifestyle
As a long-term cure for diabetes, Ayurveda greatly stresses on various diet and lifestyle changes which can help a diabetic patient lead a much healthier life .
- Go for high fiber diet. Oatmeal and high fiber cereals can be better food choices.
- Make whole grains a part of your diet. Whole grains help in regulating the glycemic response, increasing insulin sensitivity, improving pancreatic β-cell functions and increasing insulin secretion. Opting for wheat bread, wheat pasta, low-fat and multigrain crackers, low sugar, whole grain cereals and brown rice could have a healing effect for the diabetic patient.
- Garlic and onions should be consumed as garlic contains allicin that reduces sugar level, while onion has low sugar characteristics.
- Cheese and yogurt prepared with skimmed milk can be taken.
- Eat plenty of green vegetables, black gram, and fish.
- Avoid sweet fruits like pineapple, grapes, mangoes, etc. Rather include fruits with a low glycemic index which includes Indian gooseberry, apples, peaches, pears, orange, guava and Jambul fruit in your diet.
- Include Bengal gram (Chana) in your diet as it has shown good result in glucose tolerance and urinary excretion.
- Barley is the best grain for managing diabetes. As an effective way to control diabetes, you can make a flour mixture of 1 part barley, 1 part black chickpeas, and 4 parts whole-wheat flour. This mixture can be then used to make chapattis or form pancakes and bread.
- Avoid potatoes, sweet potatoes, colocasia (taro), yams, fresh grains and pulses (legumes), whole yogurt (high in fat)
- Indulge in some light exercises. You can start brisk walking of around one hour in a day.
- Yoga can be highly effective in diabetes management. Sirsasana, Veerasana, Paschimotasana, Mayurasana and many other yoga poses are quite beneficial in treating both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Considering the lifetime benefits of Ayurvedic Medicines in the treatment of Diabetes, it is better to go for Ayurveda and lead a diabetes-free and much-rejuvenated lifestyle.
For more such informative articles, follow our Truweight blogs. Tell us how you liked the article by leaving a comment in the comment section below. Also, get in touch with our Truweight Nutritionist for more information on healthy lifestyle and weight loss. The first consultation is on us!
- 8 Amazing Ayurvedic Herbs- It’s Time To Heal Naturally!
- 11 Most Effective Weight Loss Ayurvedic Medicines For You
- 12 Ayurvedic Medicines For Diabetes That You Should Definitely Know!